FRIDAY, JANUARY 4TH & SATURDAY, JANUARY 5TH (7 PM NST)
Newfoundland Growlers (20-10-1-0, 41 PTS) vs. Jacksonville Icemen (18-13-1-0, 37 PTS)
WATCH: Rogers TV, ECHL TV LISTEN: mixlr.com/nlgrowlers
The Newfoundland Growlers kick off the 2019 portion of their schedule at home with a pair of weekend games against the Jacksonville Icemen, ECHL affiliate of the Winnipeg Jets. The trip marks the only time the Icemen visit Mile One Centre and the final time the two teams square off this season.
Dylan Walchuk had a pair of goals and Alex Sakellaropoulos stopped all 19 shots he faced as the Adirondack Thunder blanked the Newfoundland Growlers 3-0 on New Year’s Eve at the Cool Insuring Arena in Glens Falls, New York. Jake Linhart had the other Thunder tally in a chippy game that saw the Growlers record 48 penalty minutes. Michael Garteig made 26 saves in the loss.
Jan. 3: G Michael Garteig recalled to Toronto (AHL).
- The Growlers are 2-2-1 against teams in the South Division
- James Melindy leads all North Division skaters with 87 penalty minutes in 25 games
- Zach O’Brien has five points in the last five games
- The Icemen are 3-8-1-0 on the road
- Kris Newbury leads the Icemen with 31 points; Newbury also played 132 games with the St. John’s Maple Leafs from 2003-2005
- Maxime Fortier is on a four-game point streak
November 21st – 2-0 Jacksonville Icemen
Mikhail Berdin stopped all 25 shots he faced as Jacksonville Icemen defeated the Newfoundland Growlers at the Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida. The loss was the first time the Growlers were shutout in franchise history. Kris Newbury and Maxime Fortier tallied for the Icemen. Michael Garteig made 23 saves. Zach O’Brien had a game high six shots.